Saturday, November 19, 2011

29 July 1989

I was just looking for cards I could send out for Thanksgiving and came across a ticket stub that was tucked away in a tiny box with my cards.  "$6.  July 29th, 1989. Gilroy Garlic Festival."  That day my life changed forever.  It was the first and only day I went to the Gilroy Garlic Festival.  This is significant for two reasons:

  1. On a fateful Thanksgiving from my childhood, after we ate, I spent the afternoon digesting and reading National Geographic magazines in my Godmother's den.  I read about that festival and promised myself that I would go one day.  Even though I had forgotten where it was I ended up keeping the promise to myself and going.  (Mike Grudzinski called me on the phone and asked if Rob Lavender and I wanted to ride down the coast in his new red convertible and go the the Gilroy Garlic Festival.  Who would say no?)
  2. I met Rosie Echelmeier, the true "Rosie" of Rosie's Posies.  I had heard about her for over a decade.  Through my teenage years I worked for Rosie's Posies at the New York Renaissance Festival for her sister, Betty.  People would ask Betty if she was Rosie and she would say "No, that's my sister.  She works at the original Renaissance Pleasure Faires in California."   
When I first saw Rosie, I had rounded a corner and suddenly saw her across the way.  She was stunning.  Angelic in a flowing skirt with the sun silhouetting her and her garland cart which was replete with parasol, flowers, ribbons.  She was a vision that stopped me dead in my tracks.  I had noticed women wearing garlands but somehow thought they had just brought their own - not bought them there.  

The instant I saw Rosie I knew my life had changed.  My dream had been to work that the "real" Renaissance Faires.  I had no idea where they were - aside from California - nor how I would get to them.  I had no car.  Nonetheless, I walked up to her, introduced myself and ended up working for her for several years.  I then became an actor - a peasant in St. Helena's Guild, where I met a swordsman from Albion School of Defence.  He told me that they practiced in the El Cerrito Veteran's Hall on Tuesday nights and the beginner class was starting in a couple weeks.  I went, became a sword-fighter (another dream realized) and now, over 10 years later, some of my best friends are still from that group.

I'm so glad I kept (and found) that ticket stub. 

No comments:

Post a Comment